How to Contact Me!

Feel free to contact me anytime at 510/415-6185 or jackie@thesocialpet.com or view my website: www.thesocialpet1.com




Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Pogo," DSH, White with Black, Oakland - Found!

My notes: A week after the search, Pogo was found "in the neighborhood" of his home. The exact location was not given. He was found very thin and weak. His person holds to the fact that he was there in that one spot the whole time. Obviously, he was chased out of the area of his home by all the domestic and wild critters who live in the area, was missing for several days, which explains his weak and thin condition. He then made it back to the general area until he was found. By that time, he had been missing for over two weeks. 

______________________________________________



Pogo is an indoor only 15 year old, 10 pound, white with black, DSH. He is not microchipped and not wearing a collar.

Pogo was missing for one week when I was called. There were no sightings after he went missing, despite an extensive search of the immediate neighborhood by Pogo's person.

He went missing from the house at about 7 PM when he escaped by running out the front door while people were standing on the porch. He was noticed missing around 11 PM that evening. A search of the house and the immediate neighborhood was made, but he was not found or sighted.

He has been missing in the past and per his person, "He was found on the back porch after being missing for the night."

We found a track leading away from the house, up the street, across a couple of streets, down another street and then towards a more busy street.

Within five minutes of starting the search, Pogo's person outright said that she did not believe that Dino was following her cat's scent. She said that her elderly cat would never, ever travel this far and must be back somewhere near her home. I reminded her of her extensive search in the area for the last week and no cat was found. She said that "everything she had read on the Internet said that cats never travel far and just sit and hide for days at a time." I said that those sites are wrong. She said, "How could all those sites be wrong and you are right?" I said, "My dog is right because he is following your cat's scent. Those sites are not following your cat's scent." She did not believe me.

I did find this Craigslist ad posted, confirming that she felt her cat had travelled out of the area:
"January 22, 2013 
Craigslist ad:
"may be heading back to home in temescal, through the laurel or dimond.
White cat with black ears, tail, and three large black spots on back. pink nose, green eyes.
"Pogo".
super sweet but probably scared."

She questioned the drink I was giving Dino that she felt was preventing him from following any track. She said that she was familiar with human search and rescue dogs and she didn't feel that Dino was acting the same. I explained that this was not looking for a lost human, but a lost cat and it was all different. She said that Dino was never tracking, and that I was guiding him the whole time. I said that Dino was tracking and suggested to continue to follow the search.

Five minutes later she again said that she did not feel her cat would ever walk on the sidewalk and again, said that Dino was not  tracking her cat. I said he was tracking and suggested we keep following the track.

Five minutes later the track crossed a street to the other side, and I said we needed to get back down to the crosswalk to cross. Again, she said that Dino was not tracking and she said she would not continue on the search and she wanted all her money back. I reminded her that she had already paid for the four hour minimum. She asked that I continue the search without her and I reminded her that I did not do searches alone. At that point, she unzipped the reflective vest I had given her, handed it to me and turned to walk back home alone.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete